Do you want to lead an ML team with access to 16M wines, 62M users, and 2.3B label scans? How do 256K ratings, 250K wineries, and more than 10K winemakers sound to you? Or what about diving into the data behind 4K wine regions, more than 1.500 different grapes, and 300 styles of wine?
Imagine being a part of an engineering leadership team leading a team working on all that data for developing and running ML Solutions including MLOps along with driving the engineering culture.
Do all these things resonate with your expectations for a great job? Then the position as Lead ML might just be the right thing for you.
Vivino, the world's largest wine community, is seeking an experienced and highly skilled engineer to lead, manage and contribute to the growth of our ML team.
As the Lead of ML, based in Copenhagen you’ll report to our Director of Engineering and work closely with Engineering leadership, the Product Managers, wine domain experts, and other stakeholders to understand their goals and requirements and align the development of machine learning models with the overall product roadmap.
The team is responsible for developing and running our ML solutions in Vivino, including MLOps; streamlining the process of taking machine learning models to production and maintaining them, with a special focus on writing clean code, containerisation, pipelining, testing, linting, deployment, automated retraining, experimentation, and writing microservices.
As a member of the Enablement Group, the ML Team supports cross-functional teams in achieving their goals. Your role will involve working closely with the DevOps team to ensure that the machine learning models are deployed and maintained in a robust, scalable, easy-to-update, and managed way.
Your key responsibilities across these areas of focus will include the following:
- Setting and aligning objectives and key results (OKRs) for the ML team with the organization's OKRs
- Focus on working hands-on with the team to bring ML solutions to our users
- Overseeing the deliveries of the team members
- Nurturing and motivating the professional and personal development of the team members to achieve their OKRs
- Closely working with other teams and groups within the company to ensure that the work of the ML team is aligned with the company's overall goals and objectives
A curious strategic mindset with strong problem solving skills and a committed lead with good people skills/communicator
With your strategic mindset, you work in an organised manner and help prioritise what the team should work on to have the most impact on Vivino and drive the creation of a tech strategy for the ML area that ties in with our overall strategy.
Just as importantly, you are solution-oriented and therefore, perceive problem solving as one of your key strengths. With your evaluative work approach and analytical thinking, you are quick at getting to the core of a problem by examining information, documenting facts, and interpreting data accordingly.
You are a committed and team-oriented manager as you attach great importance to understanding people and value individuals. In addition, you value being able to motivate others and consider yourself adept at finding ways to be inspiring and encouraging. Your strong leadership abilities also allow you to be comfortable in making quick decisions and taking control of things.
If this characterisation and below experience levels resonates with you, we look forward to hearing from you!
- Preferably you hold a Bachelor or Master degree in machine learning, computer science, mathematics, physics, or economics
- 5+ years of relevant experience as ML Engineer or similar with minimum of 2 years of leading experience
- Hands on experience designing and implementing end-to-end solutions using Machine and Deep Learning models.
- You are fluent in Python
- Strong understanding of the principles and best practices of MLOps.
- An experienced applied ML Engineer who works in the tension between engineering and science
- Experience building new products that use state-of-the-art algorithms
- Knowledge of unit / functional / integration testing, profiling, and code tuning
- Familiar with tools and technologies such as AWS, pytest, PEP8 standard, Docker, shell scripting, FastAPI, CI/CD and Jenkins
- Professional proficiency in English, both in writing and verbally
If you're passionate about ML and have a strong track record in deploying and maintaining ML models in production, we'd love to hear from you.
Working at Vivino
Vivino is not just a workplace; it is a community where the people are at the center and always will be. Working at Vivino offers you the opportunity to be surrounded by great people with different backgrounds and strongly feel part of an international community.
Being a lead in the ML team at Vivino, you will focus on solving critical problems for the business and ML team. Your day-to-day work will impact the product's positive growth and overall success. You will be part of a fantastic team of brilliant people, extremely knowledgeable and supportive.
Here are some of the things we can offer you:
- Excellent work culture with few formal procedures and limits
- A diverse team of many nationalities
- Friday bars with wine
- Daily catered lunches
- Delicious coffee, tea, and light snacks
- Social activities (go-karting, painting, cooking classes, and more!)
Who are we?
TRUSTED BY MILLIONS TO DISCOVER AND BUY THE RIGHT WINE EVERY TIME
Vivino is the world's largest online wine marketplace and most downloaded wine app, powered by a community of millions. Vivino's unique wine shopping experience leverages community data to suggest personalised wine recommendations for each individual user. In addition to making wine discovery fun and effortless, Vivino is the best place for wine drinkers to buy wine. The Vivino app is available for download on Android and Apple devices.
We are a fast-paced, growing team with offices in San Francisco, California, and Copenhagen, Denmark. We also have teams worldwide in the UK, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Ireland, Australia, Shanghai, and Hong Kong.
Our team is passionate about our core purpose - to empower people everywhere to enjoy wine to the fullest. We do that every day by building technology and leveraging data that puts the power back in the hands of the consumer. We do not see wine as a commodity but as an offering of a cultural experience that was once out of reach for many but is now open to everyone.
Our five core values are:
- Always Strive for Better
- Work Together
- Earn and Offer Trust
- Be Approachable
- Lead with Data
Commitment to diversity and inclusion
Vivino is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, and veteran status any other characteristic protected by applicable law.